Friday, February 17, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Dip



I really love Jalapeno Poppers but sometimes they can be a bit of a pain to make so this dip is the perfect solution! It has all of the flavours of Jalapeno Poppers but is much easier to make – especially when making for a crowd. And what better dip to serve at a party than this – just make sure to warn your guests that it packs a punch! Also it goes without saying (just looking at the list of ingredients!) but I feel obliged to do so since it is so calorific – this is definitely one dip that is not for the calorie conscious which is why it makes the perfect special treat for a party!

250g cream cheese, softened
125g sour cream
115g mozzarella, grated
30g parmesan, grated
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 jar of jalapenos (pickled), finely chopped
2 fresh jalapenos, finely chopped (de-seeded for a milder dip)
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
55g Panko bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400F/ 200C.

Put the softened cream cheese and sour cream into a medium to large bowl and mix well so that you don't have any lumps. Add the mozzarella, half of the parmesan, the crushed garlic, and the finely chopped jalapenos – both pickled and fresh. Stir well so that everything is well mixed then season with a little salt and some freshly ground black pepper.


Mix the remaining parmesan with the panko breadcrumbs then sprinkle them evenly over the top of the dip.

Put the dip into an oven-proof dish (or alternatively 4 individual dishes) and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the dip is bubbling at the sides and the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving with crackers, bread or crisps (chips) and an ice cold beer or two to help calm your taste buds after eating! This is one seriously addictive little dip that you will love.




I'm also submitting this as a second entry to this month's Sweet Heat Challenge as it is perfect Game Food.

38 comments:

  1. Jealous that I didn't think of this! Awesome idea because jalapeno poppers are one of my faves but they really can be a pain to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel the same - especially if you need to make a lot! This is way easier but all the same flavours! The only problem is whenever I make this I can't stop eating it!! : )

      Delete
  2. Thank you thank you!! This is exactly what I need - and what a timing! I tried making poppers couple days ago, and ... well... it was a mess, to say the least. I love this dip idea! So much easier! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Glad to be of help! I love Jalapeno Poppers but they are so messy and such a pain to make - this is so easy but still so tasty! Hope you enjoy it : )

      Delete
  3. This sounds incredible! What could be better than jalapeno poppers than jalapeno popper dip! I absolutely have to try this. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lacy! I really hope you love it as much as I do : )

      Delete
  4. I'm hosting family game night this weekend and this dip would be perfect for us!! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I would love this little appetizer dip! The spicier hot the better in my case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same and I have to say this one does pack a punch! But even then I can't stop eating it!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Janice - it's perfect for a party! Easy to make but quick to disappear! : )

      Delete
  7. Thanks everyone for such lovely comments! I hope you all have a great weekend : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uh oh, I fear we may love this too much by the sound of it, being chilli and cheese fiends. Yum! Love the idea of it baked and crunchy too ~ Sheelagh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my problem! I have to warn you now it is highly addictive which is why I have to limit how often I make it!! : )

      Delete
  9. Oh my, the hubs would go bonkers for this. Great dip recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes please, this is making me drool. What a great idea! I cannot wait to try it out. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do : )

      Delete
  11. Well that's plenty of calories, but I'm willing to take the risk. Nice heat and those breadcrumbs are an excellent idea for a bit of contrasting texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is! I did think after that you could use 1/2 fat cream cheese and sour cream but really I think if you are going to eat this you just have to accept it's just one of those recipes!!

      Delete
  12. Ohh I need to have a party! Or maybe not, because I probably wouldn't want to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, sounds yummy! :) What a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm definitely copying this recipe! I've always wanted to make jalapeno poppers, and this looks SO much easier with all the same fabulous taste :) Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! It's so much easier but all of the same great flavours! I hope you enjoy it : )

      Delete
  15. In the directions I can't tell if you mix the bread crumbs in or put them on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops!! Thank you so much for pointing out to me that I missed that part out! Have changed the recipe now to include those instructions...sorry for the confusion! : )

      Delete
  16. Oh.My.Word.... I am gonna have to come up with a reason to make this dip STAT!!! Oh - just the thought of the creamy spicy cheesy dip and an ice cold beer with lime!!! I am now daydreaming... and drooling! :0) Thanks for an incredible recipe!! I am so glad I found you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that you found me as well! I hope you enjoy it : )

      Delete
  17. Thank you so much for bringing this by to our Jalapeno party today! I think I'm going to make some of this for lunch! yummm ... (I am going to sub greek yogurt for the sour cream and cut down the cheese, though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure - thanks for hosting such a fabulous party!! Don't blame you for the subs....it's definitely not the healthiest of dips! ; )

      Delete
  18. Looks delicious - can it be frozen? We'd be unlikely to eat all of it at one sitting (but then again .... )

    ReplyDelete
  19. To be honest I'm not sure....just in terms of how it would turn out with the dairy in it.... you could definitely half the recipe though for smaller quantities if that helps? Sorry - it's always disappeared in our house far too quickly for me to have to consider that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This dip looks fantastic. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...