Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup with Sizzling Chorizo




I know – another soup recipe, but 'tis the season! That plus the thick layer of glistening ice outside this morning, the -6 temperature and the fact that I still have my cold made it seem like an obvious choice for lunch! So apologies aside, here it is my delicious Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup with Sizzling Chorizo.


Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup with Sizzling Chorizo

A beautifully vibrant orange soup with a hint of paprika, this is such a warming soup, ideal for a cold Winter's day. The addition of the chorizo at the end finishes it off perfectly for a hearty meal. Serve with plenty of crusty bread and butter then sit back and relax and enjoy.

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 onion, sliced
1 leek, sliced

2 cloves of garlic, crushed
½ tsp smoked paprika
600g approx. sweet potato, peeled & cut into cubes
115g red lentils, well rinsed & drained
1 litre/ 1000ml chicken or vegetable stock
Salt & pepper
125g chorizo, sliced

In a large pan melt the butter with 1 tbsp of the oil until sizzling. Add the onion and leek and cook for roughly 7 minutes until softened but not coloured then add the garlic and paprika. Cook for another minute then add the sweet potato, lentils and stock. Season with some salt and pepper then cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Leave to cool slightly then puree the soup until it is completely smooth. Return to the pan and gently reheat. While the soup is reheating drizzle the remaining olive oil into a frying pan then once hot add the chorizo and cook until sizzling and golden brown on the edges. When ready to serve ladle the soup into soup bowls and top with some slices of chorizo and a drizzle of some of the paprika infused oil.

*For a vegetarian option use vegetable stock instead and miss out the chorizo.

12 comments:

  1. Never too many soup recipes if you ask me! This one looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to leave work right now and head home to make this. It sounds absolutely phenomenal!!! Will be making it this weekend for sure! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies - it's a fairly new recipe of mine but already a firm favourite! Hope you enjoy : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great soup recipe! I love the addition of the sizzling chorizo. I'd be happy to sit down to a bowl of this winter warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks gorgeous! I think lentils and chorizo is a very intriguing combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot resist chorizo. Your presentation of this soup is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. I hope you all enjoy the soup if you make it : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the addition of the chorizo. Very interesting but I'm sure delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful colour. I'll definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your comments - I really appreciate them. The chorizo is a bit different but please try it - it's makes such a difference and finishes the soup off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh your soup looks great and the chorizo idea is right up my street! I am getting to the point where I'm struggling - soup season is so lovely in Autumn and then drags towards the end of Winter for me. This has tempted me to keep going :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...